Lesson 4 – These thoughts do not mean anything. They are like the things I see in this room [on this street, from this window, in this place].
- Begin with noting thoughts for a minute
- Then apply idea with the exercise
- Do not only select “bad” thoughts
- Training to look at thoughts without judgment
- There are no “good” or “bad” thoughts
- All thoughts cover our REAL thoughts
- Major exercise that will be repeated
- Separating the meaningless from the meaningful
- Meaningless is outside
- Meaningful within
- Training mind to see what is same and different
EXERCISE – Identify thought by central figure/event
- This thought about “politics” does not mean anything. It is like the things I see in this room, on this street, and so on.
- This thought about “what I’m going to have for dinner” does not mean anything. It is like the things I see in this room”.
- This thought about “I’ve already failed in my New Year’s resolutions” does not mean anything. It is like the things I see in this room.
- This thought about “my daughter” and so on.
- Do not become pointlessly preoccupied with thinking about this lesson.
- Practice the idea for a minute or so.
- May find suspension of judgment difficult
- Do not repeat exercise more than 3-4 times today